Thursday, March 20, 2008

Christians + Easter = A Big Lie!

Love that title huh? Very intriguing, right? Well than read on for a spell and then leave your comments and opinions in the comment section. As a Christian (and I have been since the age of 17/18 yrs. old) the entire foundation of my faith is based on the Birth, Death & Resurrection of Jesus Christ. This for Christians is an indisputable fact. As a matter of fact Easter is probably the biggest Holiday for Christians as it is the celebration of Christ's resurrection. So for a Christian it is pretty safe to say that we all agree that Christ was crucified, died, was buried and then rose again -FACT! So I am not disputing that, I just want you all to think about the celebrations, myths, timing, and symbolism surrounding "Easter"!

First Point of Contention- Good Friday & Easter Sunday, Are you sure?
Christians say, "Jesus was crucified, dead & buried, then ON the third day He rose again" My question - If Jesus was buried on Friday (Good Friday) and rose ON the third day, then He had to rise on MONDAY. [Friday to Saturday would be 1 day, Saturday to Sunday would be 2 days, and Sunday to Monday would be 3 days]. Canada actually celebrates Easter Monday. However the bible says, "For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of a huge fish, so the Son of Man will be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth." Matthew 12:40. So if this is true and if Jesus was buried on "Good Friday" and was buried for 3 whole days AND 3 whole night then He had to have risen ON Tuesday morning! But since Matthew 28:1-4 says, "After the Sabbath, at dawn on the first day of the week, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went to look at the tomb...." from this we know that Jesus rose on the first day of the week! So I guess this means that Jesus was NOT buried on "Good Friday"!
***
Second Point Of Contention - Christians take pagan symbols and try to "Christianize" them??
Why do we celebrate "Easter" instead of " Resurrection Sunday"?
Easter has Pagan Origins:
Easter, a Christian festival, embodies many pre-Christian traditions. The origin of its name is unknown. Scholars, however, accepting the derivation proposed by the 8th-century English scholar St. Bede, believe it probably comes from Eastre, the Anglo-Saxon name of a Teutonic goddess of spring and fertility, to whom was dedicated a month corresponding to April.
Easter Symbols:

Eastre (or "Ostara"), the Anglo-Saxon Teutonic goddess of spring and fertility was often accompanied by a hare when represented. The fertile nature of rabbits and hares is another symbol of new life and the rebirth that occurs during the spring season.

Easter BunnyAlso, German settlers in America are said to have brought over the tradition of a bunny named "Oschter Haws" who would visit houses on Easter eve, leaving colored eggs for children. Easter eggs were painted different colors to represent the sunlight of spring. Christians later used eggs to symbolize the rebirth of Christ.

Another Easter tradition is the eating of Hot Cross Buns. These cakes were marked by the Saxons to honor Eastre, the fertility goddess. The crosses on the buns are said to represent the moon's quarters, while Christians see the cross as a reference to the Crucifixion.

***
Third and Final Point Of Contention - Why do we lie to ourselves, our kids, and lost souls??
Why, why, why are we lying to our children about the Easter Bunny? Why are we having Easter egg hunts? Why are kids getting Friday off from school? Why are churches having and or sponsoring Easter egg hunts? Why are we as Christians perpetuating this lie? If you just want to have parties, and hide eggs, than just be honest and say so, but don't do it all under the lie that you are honoring our risen Saviour! Now if this is what you do than I do not think any more or less of you, I just personally am tired of the lies that Christians wrap their faith in and try to pass on to the unsaved. Tell your kids that "Resurrection Sunday" is the day that our Saviour Jesus Christ rose from the dead, and ascended into heaven. Tell them that "Easter" was a pagan goddess of fertility and has nothing at all to do with Jesus!
We need to get back to the basics of our faith, because the kids need to know the TRUTH! All the lost souls need to know the truth! Read Matthew chapters 27 & 28 (there is no mention of Easter bunnies or Easter eggs), go to history.com or Google the origins of Easter, do your homework, and get informed!
Of course if you do not agree with anything you see here that is fine, because I can agree to disagree with you, it's all love!

Ignorance is not bliss! Please get informed, our Saviour deserves better...
Peace & Love

ShAĆ© - ShAĆ© 21 March, 2008 06:19

Girl call me crazy but I haven't lied to my children about the Easter Bunny, Santa, the tooth fairy or none of that. They ask and I tell the truth. Some say it's taking away their childhood, I say my kids trust me enough to know that they are not idiots and will one day respect that.

Mema

You know Regina, I am so glad that I can say that my telling you the truth and my inspiring you to get wisdom. (Proverbs 4:7 says "Wisdom is the principal thing; Therefore get wisdom. And in all your getting, get understanding.) Has not hurt you, but made you a stronger person.

Like Shae Shae says; telling your children the truth will not hurt them, and it will not take their childhood from them. I am sure that you can recall much fun that we had as a family , and still have. Love your children enough to tell them the truth, so the world won't catch them off guard and hurt them with lies.

Emperor Constantine of Rome was a very shrewd man. Yes he stopped the persecution of the Christians; but he did something else to secure his empire. He took all of the Christian beliefs and traditions, and married them to the pagan ritual and traditions of all the other barbaric tribes that he conquored, and he formed the first one world religion. He called that religion Catholisim. The word Catholic means universal. He instituted a universal religion where whatever a people celebrated was accepted. This act united his kingdom and confused the church of God. Now we put Easter bunnies with the empty tomb and think we are pleasing God.

God says in Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I also will reject you from being priest for Me."

Knowledge is powerful and wisdom is divine!

freetofly 21 March, 2008 09:46

Well, I was gonna say you Rock! But, then I read your commentors & they rock too! Especially Mema!

All I can say, is my parents taught me (my mom) the same thing you wrote...I get it, I do, and I am remiss that I have not made this clear to my sons. (They tend to think I get on my soap box a lot) but, I need to make sure they know the same thing I know.

The post was good, but, I have to say, Mema's comment curled my toe nails with conviction. Because in most areas of my life I am alert to compromise...I know God hates when we blend and dress stuff up and call it good. I have missed it here. I don't think it's wrong to have some fun. But, it shouldn't be done in ignorance. And as I type this, I wonder isn't that just more compromise, only now it is aware? Clearly I am going to be thinking about this for a long while.

Regina this is another reason I appreciate you. You are equipped with a voice that we need!

God bless & Happy Resurrection Sunday!

HEALTH NUT WANNABEE MOM 21 March, 2008 11:08

Great comments. I see your point and I have always struggled with all this. Love your Obama banner!

Heidi

Rosemarie 21 March, 2008 11:29

Every parent has their own convictions and must follow through accordingly.

I'm a committed Christian but since the birth of my daughter, I have struggled [especially this past Christmas] on sharing our culture's traditions regarding Holidays along with personal religious beliefs. After prayer and seeking inwardly, I will be introducing both while raising my daughter, though being careful not to overshadow the true meaning of why we celebrate. No doubt, she will know the importance of the resurrection and the gift of redemption through Christ's ultimate sacrifice -- giving of himself unto death on a cross.

Thanks for sharing your heart.

MsMarvalus 21 March, 2008 12:48

It wasn't until my teenage/adult life that I discovered the true meaning of Easter...I didn't attend church regularly as a child (but went on Easter Sunday; and I heard "Jesus rose on Sunday" at church)...but when I started reading for myself and uncovered for myself the truth, I vowed that my child would know the truth...

We still celebrate Easter Sunday and other religious holidays, but my son is aware that they are days put in place, symbolically, for what we truly need to celebrate...the love of God, the gift of Jesus, and the endurance of the Holy Spirit...

Mimi 21 March, 2008 13:07

I was taught the true meaning of Easter and Christmas. My parents never mentioned the Easter bunny. I didn't hear about him until I was in school. We painted eggs and colored and decorated the school.

It does peeve me that people who don't give a damn about God or Jesus celebrate Christmas and Easter.

Kudos for bring this to the light!

Rosemarie 21 March, 2008 13:45

It so happens that your post and my comment brought more to the surface. Thanks for being obedient.

Easter blessings!

Check it out…you've been linked! :D

jjbrock 21 March, 2008 18:17

Regina I love your article. Have a Happy Easter!

Thoughts of a Southern gal 21 March, 2008 20:51

I just learned something!

Pastor Lisa 22 March, 2008 06:08

Regina! I asked this very thing over on my blog. Why has the church so willingly accepted and embraced sharing its high holy days with a rabbit and a man in a red suit.

I don't think any other religion does this.

When Buddhist celebrate Buddah's birthday, it's not shared or dilluted with some other thing. It's a celebration of his birthday.

Then why do we as Christians feel we have to taint or diminish or high holy days with rabbits and a fat man in a red suit? I really don't get it.

I think it's a real shame. If we're celebrating His birth, let's celebrate His birth. If we're celebrating His ressurection, what's wrong with just celebrating the fact He rose. Why do we need a bunny and an egg to go along with the occasion?

I'm off my soap box now.

The two most high holy days on the Christian calendar and it's diluted with pagan tradition.

Help us.

mama meji 22 March, 2008 20:08

Just dropping by to greet you a Happy Easter. Let's celebrate Jesus' resurrection.

Blessings.

Pam 23 March, 2008 07:01

Happy Easter Regina!!

Fergie 23 March, 2008 07:28

Hi Regina,
This was a very insightful post. I totally agree with you and your commenters. I think it is essential that we educate ourselves as Christian so that we are equipped to share this knowledge. I think the fundamental problem is we really don't know the origin of all these worldly ways of celebrating sacred Christian Holidays. Thank you for sharing and keep on doing what you are doing. I got some catching up to do over here, but I got you book marked now. See you in blog land real soon.

Fergie

Torrance Stephens bka All-Mi-T 24 March, 2008 02:22

now dont get me started sister lol

Attorneymom 24 March, 2008 16:02

Regina, thank you for this post. I was going to do a similar post. Of course, I decided to play it safe. I just added the picture of an empty tomb and left out the word "Easter."

I will end my comment at this point.

Thank you for having the courage to say what needed to be said.

Lisa C 25 March, 2008 20:29

AMEN! Regina, these are some of the few reasons why we don't attend church anymore. There are so many lies that are taught to Christians, and the sad thing about it is, when they are confronted they don't even open themselves up to the possibility of what you're saying could be true.

We don't celebrate Christmas either. And with a house full of children we get the usual, "they need presents and everything else that comes along with the holiday". We go to the mountains during that time just to get away from the madness (ridiculous spending) of it all.

LoL...like Torrance said, don't get me started ;)

Marcus LANGFORD 25 March, 2008 22:41

no disrespect to anyone that celebrates them, but i find all holidays to be an economical conspiracy anyway. i am glad that i was never raised to celebrate holidays.

Mary@notbefore7 27 March, 2008 19:52

Regina...maybe I am wrong, but isn't Maudy Thursday the official day Jesus was crucified. I believe that is why Sunday is resurrection? I don't know...

We all need to take time to give our holiday celebrations over to God and remember that in ALL we do, we need to focus on him.

I do think that egg hunts, etc, can be harmless in terms of reaching out the world around us - like a neighborhood hunt. My children will continue to know the truth in our home so that they can spread the gospel!

Pastor Lisa 02 April, 2008 12:11

Lisa C, I've contemplated a trip away beginning the day after Thanksgiving up till the beginning of Kwanzaa! LOL!

And I can tell you of a fact, not all churches are "caught up" in bunnies and obese men in red suits!