Sunday, August 3, 2008

WTH! - Gangsta Babies?? - Seriously...

"Hat Tip to my sister AJ - at OverAnalyzeIt"

Have you seen this mess??
These so called dolls, called "Gangsta Babies" are retailing at $112 each!
Who in the world comes up with this garbage?
These atrocities are named "Pookie, Benjino, Rey Rey, & Big Deuce" and they have a little gangsta bio to go with their blinged out clothes...

"Comin straight outta crib-town! Each of these 10-inch hooddlers is A-Listing in the play ground. Rockin fabtastic clothing and so much baby bling that other rug rats can only catch their vapors. Series 1 set of 4 contains: Pookie: The green-eyed baller. But dont make him cranky... ya wouldnt like him when he's cranky. Featuring a thermal shirt, t-shirt, dew rag, ring, and pimped out pacifier necklace. Benjino: This carrot toped homey is holding the fort down. Featuring a red bubble vest, football jersey, jeans, cassette shaped ring and old school boom box necklace. Rey Rey: From around the way way, a playa who is #1 with all the shorties. Features a hoodie, skullcap, camo jacket and shorts. He represents with his "GB" dog tags. Big Deuce: Everyone knows this lil’ shot caller is runnin things. Features a baseball hat, shirt, cuffed jeans, and white do rag, diamond ring, gold rope bracelet, and crown pendant. Gangsta Babies series 1 will be available in October 2008. This item may have variants (painting/ sculpting/ or other) randomly inserted throughout the production run. Mezco in unable to accept requests for specific variants. "

I am disgusted! What about you?
Regina

HEALTH NUT WANNABEE MOM 04 August, 2008 00:15

Okay, I really thought this was some kind of joke at first but then I realized it was real. I find this pretty insulting and it is making me scowl just to look at it. Will anyone actually buy them? How about donating the money you would spend on that doll to help homeless kids or animals? I don't get it.

Shelia 04 August, 2008 00:34

Hi Regina,

I was so hoping that this post wasn't going to go everywhere that it went. I'm too through!

blackwomenblowthetrumpet.blogspot.com 04 August, 2008 02:47

Hey there!

This company....as we suspected.. is NOT owned by blacks.

This company also sells a Biggie Smalls doll and a Flavor Flav doll as well.

I doubt any mother would give permission for her dead son's likeness to be used for ridicule by a company promoting an obese doll. Look at this!

This "new" line of dolls you mentioned in your post was announced on July 19, 2008 by Plastic and Plush:

I have said this before at other blogs but it bears repeating...we need to go DIRECTLY to the source with our outrage.

I went to Hoover.com but this company is not listed in their directory.

The website says H. Michael Markowitz is president but there is no address or phone or fax number. There are some email addresses.

I'll keep on digging and come back to you if I get something more!

Peace, blessings and DUNAMIS!
Lisa

blackwomenblowthetrumpet.blogspot.com 04 August, 2008 03:20
This comment has been removed by the author.
blackwomenblowthetrumpet.blogspot.com 04 August, 2008 03:23

Hi again Regina!

Whew!! I am back! (smiles)

Okay, I kept on digging and I found the corporate headquarters. It is in Queens. Here is the information:

Michael Markowitz
President
Mezco Toyz LLC
2107 Borden Avenue
Fifth floor
Long Island City, NY 11101
212-242-4100

Peace, blessings and DUNAMIS!
Lisa

DB 04 August, 2008 06:37

disgusted...yet not surprised.

historylover 04 August, 2008 09:19

Hi, I think it's wrong to make dolls depicting the gangster life style. So then kids get the impression it's ok to be like that.

Torrance Stephens - All-Mi-T 04 August, 2008 10:09

lord help us

common mom 04 August, 2008 11:29

Um . . . wow. That's all I can come up with. Seriously, WTH?!

Believer 1964 04 August, 2008 14:11

There are opportunists and collectors of all kinds.

op·por·tun·ist
One who takes advantage of any opportunity to achieve an end, often with no regard for principles or consequences.

Blog Queen 04 August, 2008 15:02

it's a sad state when you wanna buy a "gangsta" baby for your kid for Christmas. What's even sadder is the fact that these "atrocities" are gonna sell!

Melissa 04 August, 2008 17:08

These are worse than the bratz babies.

clnmike 04 August, 2008 18:40

I am more curious about who would buy these as supposed to who is making them, like a lot of hip hop music sold today I suspect that the majority of consumers would be white.

MsMarvalus 04 August, 2008 19:21

I'm with Mike...who are their customers?

Although I am outraged that someone even sat in a room and came up with this idea, and then somebody agreed with it...I wanna know who is going to shell out $110 for this bull?

*&&*^^%$%^$ <---- (you know what that is)

Atasha 04 August, 2008 20:14

I had really hoped this was a joke and I had to do a double take when I saw the price!

I, like others want to know who would buy this? I mean really?

Darn shame.

Anonymous

Wow. Overreaction to a non-issue.
Some facts:
1) The Biggie doll is made in cooperation with Biggie’s Mother. He doesn’t come with any weapons or drug paraphernalia. It is a celebration of a life ended too short.
2) The Gangsta Babies are not intended for children. The age rating is 15 and up.
3) As you may have read in numerous articles, or heard on the radio, or seen on BET in February (during BET’s positive report on the 4th series of Biggie dolls) Mezco is the only company that mass produces African American action figures as part of their own stand alone line. Barbie and GI Joe have “black friends” but only Mezco makes entire lines of African American figures. Mezco made 3 lines of Run DMC figures, 4 series of Biggie, and one of Public Enemy. They also made the Warriors line of which 2 of the 6 characters were African American. Can anyone else here name another series of mass produced figures where 33% are ethnic? Anyone?
How is it that Bratz, which glamorize a shallow lifestyle and sexualize pre-teens is acceptable, heck, the best selling doll in the US for several years, but a hip hop style baby, made for adults as a novelty, is a focus of such anger?

Fitness Goddess 05 August, 2008 11:29

This has got to be the saddest thing I have seen in a long time. Thanks for the address. I will be writing a letter to express my disgust.

Hadias 05 August, 2008 13:49

Hey Regina

Now you that this is a hot-mess.

Please folks...Do not, I repeat DO NOT support this nonsense.

Baby Please 05 August, 2008 17:16

These dolls walk the streets every day. And they appear on stage, in videos, on film.

They are in Harlem... and Oakland... and Atlanta.

That...

is something to be outraged about.

Ellen 05 August, 2008 20:51

Hi Regina,

Dropped by just to say 'hello' to you. Wishing you well too and with a prayer that our good Lord continue to pour out tons of blessings for you and your family.

See you around :-)

Ellen

melanie 05 August, 2008 23:29

I left a comment here yesterday but I don't see it now.... silly computer.

Anyhoo... I am not really all that surprised by these. Yes, I feel disgusted but not all that shocked.

And I can think of a couple of parents that I'm pretty sure would purchase something like this... although with that price tag I'm not sure, but if they weren't so expensive I can think of a couple of people that I think would purchase them.

monaco 06 August, 2008 00:44

What's even more alarming is that parents are buying these for their kids!

bluedreamer27 06 August, 2008 07:20

hello regina just dropping by here to say have a great day\
btw cute toys huh

Anonymous

"Did you here about the bill that legislators are considering in Goergia to fine parents who allow there childfen to wear their pants below thier buttocks?"

Really? I don't what's more pathetic. That people would support a bill that takes away the basic rights provided by founders of our government, or that our goverment is wasting out money even spending a minute considering it...

Anyway, these are joke toys. Kids won't have access to these at KB or Walmart...

They'll only find "Homies" there...

Zen

I'm agreeing with everything said above by Anonymous. These are novelty dolls, intended to be sold to adults. They're hardly the worst thing out there (like those awful Bratz!). The Biggie doll was made with the approval and oversight of Biggie's mother, and I knew this before Anonymous said it; I know it's true, because I know people who work at Mezco. Get some perspective, people.

Randall 06 August, 2008 11:55

I didn't care for the idea of "Homies" being sold in vending machines.

These "Gangstas" are even worse.

I'm a white man. But Dr. King's dream of a world where people were judged by the content of their character has caused me more than once in my life to reexamine my own character.

I don't care for the "gangsta" culture, but I try not to be judgmental as I don't live where it has evolved. I know that a similar culture evolved among white people in the 1920s and 30s, mostly in and around Chicago so I don't see it as a racial thing so much as a cultural one. The idea of anyone profiteering off of it by marketing it to children, especially a who person who is evidently white, I detest.

Whiney Momma 06 August, 2008 13:10

Ewww, they are so ugly...and $112 bucks, are they crazy!!

Ana 06 August, 2008 13:51

Mess like this actually sells. The more controversial, the more attention it garners and then more sales for the fools that produce it. It's sad when society has an insatiable appetite for crap like this.

Sharon Brumfield 06 August, 2008 15:28

Pretty sad....and what a waste of money!
I am sure someone will buy them...just like a lot of the other trash that is on the market.
Maybe the ridiculous price will throw some people off.

Days like These! 07 August, 2008 03:22

HORRIBLE! I AM NOT HAPPY ABOUT THIS.

Anonymous

What part of "not for children" is so hard for you all to understand? These are $112 dolls! There aren't in Toys R Us or Wal mart or Target. They are in ADULT specialty stores.

Sandra 07 August, 2008 09:03

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. This is appalling. It not only devalues us as Black consumers, it devalues our spirit, and I am even more concerned about who may be buying these dolls. It took so long for Black dolls to appear in the mainstream market, and now these dolls are being used to glorify a “gangster “culture that has painful connotations to our people.

Lisa C 08 August, 2008 07:19

This is a shame!

Anonymous

Gangsta Babies will be featured on The View on 12/17! Sheri Shepherd is a huge fan.