Friday, December 19, 2008

Old School Friday #44 "Christmas Songs"

Hi There Bloggers!!
You Know What today is... Old School Friday!
In case you are new around these parts and don't know what "Old School Friday" is, well it is grown folks MUSIC! Yes we post some music that comes from some time before 1999, (hopefully) to relive some memories, and to educate or just entertain each other.
Ms Grapevine and MarvalusOne have teamed up to create a meme titled Old School Friday and since I love my music I had to sign up to join! To join in the Old School Friday Fun go Here for guidelines.

Today's theme is:

"Christmas Songs"

- Electronic Village - Fresh And Fab - Danielle - Kim

- Ms Grapevine -Quick -Marcus LANGFORD

- Cassandra - Kevin - iriegal -Mahogany -Hagar's Daughter - Lisa C

-Chocl8t - DP - Dallassouth - John - The Connoisseur - Kreative Talk

-Marvalus One - Regina - Clnmike - Vivrant Thing

-AJ - Sharon - RevvyRev - Invisible Woman

-Beleiver 1964 - Cooper - SJP -Bria - BklynQueen 86 - Hey Shae -

- From the Battlefield - Thembi - D Spot - Malcolm -

-Pop Art Diva - Pjazzypar - MsLadyDeborah -

My mother does not like this artist, but I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE his voice!
White Christmas/Merry Christmas Baby - Otis Redding

Nothing against Chris Breezy(Brown), but this is a classic like only THIS MAN can sing it!
This Christmas - Donny Hathaway

And just for the fun of it, A little Charlie Brown! Yes, I watch this EVERY year, and NO my kids do not watch it with me! This is my second favorite Christmas movie!
Christmas Time Is Here-Vince Guaraldi

The True Urban Queen aka Sharon 19 December, 2008 05:14

Donnie is classic. His version truly is the one that gets it going. It is officially Christmas when you hear that playing on the radio.

And I love Charlie Brown Christmas. Watch it every year.

Revvy Rev 19 December, 2008 07:34

Donny Hathaway's "This Christmas" and the Charlie Brown song are the anthems for the Christmas season. I love them both. I like Otis Redding as well. Happy OSF!

Hagar's Daughter 19 December, 2008 08:54

Regina,
I am a huge Peanuts fan and every year I watch A Charlie Brown Christmas and I have no kids. I posted music from A Charlie Brown Christmas as well.

Donny Hathaway's "This Christmas" puts me in the decorated and shopping mood.

*Why come* Mamma don't like Otis?

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

overanalyzeit 19 December, 2008 09:14

Girl I hadn't listened to Donny in years. Thanks!

Regina 19 December, 2008 09:31

@ Sharon - I don't care who TRIES to do "This Christmas" that will FOREVER be Donnie's song!!!

@Rev - Amen! It doesn't get much better than that!!

@HD - I'm glad my grown behind is not alone!! My kids will say, "Mom Charlie Brown is on & WE KNOW you want to watch it"! and I run right to the TV!!
I love Donny Hathaway - Nuff said!
I think Otis may really be my daddy and my Mom don't want to tell me! LOL!!

@ AJ - YEARS with NO DONNY!!! WHAT!!! That has got to be a sin!!

pjazzypar 19 December, 2008 11:53

This is the first time I ever heard of anyone not liking Otis Redding! You have some classics here. It's not Christmas until I hear Donnie Hathaway :-) Happy Holidays to you!

Robyn 19 December, 2008 12:09
This comment has been removed by the author.
Robyn 19 December, 2008 12:11

i followed a tag from Sharon but i dont regret it,,Holidays for me,,,umm kinda tricky i have exams comin but like i told sharon,,you too can stand in the gap for me.Happy holidays.Hope you dont mind if i make a follow up on this blog.

Thembi 19 December, 2008 16:42

Great picks all around - Donny Hathaway is one of my favorites for all seasons. I also watch Charlie Brown every year and dont even have kids!

Fergie 19 December, 2008 20:55

Hey Regina ***waving***

JohnH985 19 December, 2008 22:05

Otis is one of the best. And Christmas isn't Christmas without Charlie Brown.

MrsGrapevine 19 December, 2008 22:06

You played all of the hits. How can your mother not like Otis Redding, Good lord, I love him. I love this song!

Christmas just isn't Christmas without Donny. Donny sets it off, when I hear this song instantly it's Christmas. I don't care if it's June or July. We watched This Christmas the movie last night, cheesy, not so great, but worth while. Chris Brown's version can't touch Donny's.

Merry Christmas Charlie Brown. This is the best, I just press repeat and let it play. This cartoon is the only Christmas special that tells you what Christmas is about, "Behold, I bring you tidings o great joy, which shall be to all my people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ, the Lord."

Yeah this was so fun. All of these songs are played in my house every Christmas no matter what.

Sorry I have been MIA, but I hope you have a blessed, wonderful Christmas with your beautiful family. Merry Christ-mas!

iriegal 19 December, 2008 22:36

I love Donnie. I tell you when he teamed up with Roberta, they made magic. No, you didn't go there and feature my man C.B. (Charlie Brown)..lol

The blockhead boy is the BOMB BABY!

HAVE A WONDERFUL HOLIDAY!

Marvalus 19 December, 2008 22:57

I don't think you can mention Chris Brown's name in the same sentence. As Donny Hathaway.

I think Christmas Time Is Here is in my top 5 favorite Christmas Songs...and I too run to the TV when its on...I always wanted my own Snoopy!

Merry Christmas to you, Ms. Regina...and your beautiful family!

Hey Shae! 20 December, 2008 10:19

Not to take anything from Donny, but I absolutely love Otis Redding. And I see you pulled out all the stops with Charlie Brown. LOL They had great music on that show.

Dori 20 December, 2008 13:11

Loved all the picks! And you're so right...Donny Hathaway is a true classic! I love me some Charlie Brown too and watch it every year.

Anonymous

First off i would like to say you do watch charlie brown's Christmas EVERY FREAKING SINGLE YEAR!!! but i have to disagree with you because i watch it with you almost every year except i wasn't there for this one.

~love your FAVORITE child :D

Breathless 20 December, 2008 22:08

Gurlllll My dad loves Otis. I love Donny Hathaway.

Great Choices.

I am going to get in on Old School Friday.

lisaschaos 21 December, 2008 07:48

I love Christmas music and find myself humming the tunes, even in June! :) I'm a fan of Charlie too. :)

SjP 23 December, 2008 01:38

Christmas ain't Christmas without Donnie! Chris sings it well - but Donnie SANGS It!

Great choices - sorry it took me so long to get by.