Good Afternoon All!! Happy Black History month to you! It is always my hope to share, uplift, educate, and motivate others so I have a few interesting little know BLACK HISTORY FACTS to share with you! I hope you find something of interest , something you did not know, and something that you will share with others!
These Black History Facts are brought to you courtesy of BLACK PEOPLE and Biography.com!
- Yes, we had black cowboys! Nat "Deadwood Dick" Love, a renowned and skilled cowboy, was the only African-American cowboy to write his autobiography The Life and Adventures of Nat Love, Better Known in the Cattle Country as Deadwood Dick, published in 1907. Learn more about Nat Love HERE and HERE!
- African-American fashion designer Ann Lowe designed the wedding dress of Jacqueline Bouvier, the bride of future president, Senator . Learn more about Ann Lowe HERE and HERE.
- Garrett Augustus Morgan, inventor of the gas mask and traffic signal, also became the first African-American to own a car in Cleveland, Ohio. Learn more about Garrett Augustus Morgan HERE, HERE, and HERE.
- Sophia B. Packard and Harriet E. Giles founded the first college for black women in the United States in 1881. The school was named Spelman College after Laura Celestia Spelman Rockefeller, the wife of John D. Rockefeller, who made a sizeable donation to the school. Learn more about Sophia Packard, Harriet Giles, and Spelman College HERE and HERE.
- Dr. Matilda Arabelle Evans was the first African American woman to become licensed to practice medicine in South Carolina. Learn more about Dr. Matilda Evans HERE, HERE, and HERE.
Each one, Teach one!
Please visit my other spots: